Monday, August 23, 2004  
I've had a lot to think about recently.

Me and Kevin, the guy I've been with for 5 months, split up. And one of the reasons is that I think too much.

OK, let me try to make a little bit more sense. Me and Kevin had been going through a patchy time for quite some time. We'd be sparking each other off for no particular reason, looking for reasons to challenge each other. It was an absolutely classic case of a relationship turning sour.

But it's not particularly that I have a problem with us splitting up. When we discussed some of the reasons it would be better for us to part, one of Kevin's was that I think too much. Initially I wasn't very sure what he meant, though thinking back it is quite clear what he meant.

I always have an opinion. I have a strong belief that the world we live in is highly political. I am constantly aware of the impact that I have on the world, and try to ensure that everything I do is positive. I am a strong believer that the personal is political and I strive to change things where I see misjustice. I can't stand the status quo - especially if it looks oppressive - and I feel a strong sense of responsibility to the world and people around me.

This is me. However it became clear that this was one of the things that Kevin was struggling with in me. He explicitly said that he doesn't like to think some of the time. An idea I find scary and, to be honest, a bit lazy. But, looking into it, maybe I do think too much. Kevin certainly isn't the first person to have said it to me, and I doubt he will be the last. Maybe it is something I will have to work on. Even if I don't want to.

I am a strong proponent of change, but maybe changing myself is one of the biggest battles I will face. Maybe I need to think it over again...

Steven
   posted by Steven at Monday, August 23, 2004

Comments:
Trust me, not thinking gets easier with practice.

Spiderbike
 
Surely you mean "Kevin and I" ;-)

Sorry to hear about it though. Hope you are alright.
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

The author of this blog, Steven Allen, asserts his moral and legal rights to ownership and control of all of the contents herein. Please be nice if you want to quote me.
Listed on BlogShares