Wednesday, November 22, 2006  
Sleep.

It's the one thing I need more than anything else at the moment. But its also the one thing that currently grips me with complete and utter fear at the moment. I'm yearning for a sleep that's not so terrifying, hoping that I can relax into sleep as I used to, as opposed to feeling utter terror when I can no longer keep my eyes open. The worst part of the night comes for me now when I can feel the sting of my eyes drying out through lack of sleep - that means that its coming, but that isn't so good when I feel so scared of this thing I need so much.

Why? It's hard to say exactly. I've always had a phobia of darkness for one. As a child I used to be terrified of night monsters and demons, of being grabbed in the night, of being taken from my family. No doubt any psychologist could come up with a hundred different explanations and causes for this sort of behaviour, but explanations were never what I needed - I could always come up with those myself. No, the thing I wanted most was to be with someone, near someone - anyone - who would simply give me their presence. Its the one thing I still need now, but never have I felt so lonely as now.

The last couple of weeks have been very rocky for me. I have been skirting the ridge of my sanity, feeling on the edge so to speak (a phrase I have little understood until recently). In part it is self-inflicted but, moreover, a deep unhappiness has taken hold of me leaving me without my insides. I am not eating and chastise myself for the smallest of pleasures that I grant myself. I feel as though I am revelling in sadness - the only thought that will do since my mum died in October. I'm not eating and am developing a lethargy like none I have experienced before. I am dropping out of my Law Degree and have moved back into living with my father. My mobile phone has been cut off because I can't afford to pay the bill and I am now starting to become insular too.

Where it will all stop I cannot be sure at the moment.

In classic terms I guess you could characterise all this as a form of depression. Having experienced a great deal of contact with problems of the mind in my life I am sure its not simply this. It seems to be more the grieving process, mixed with my very own form of self-flaggelation that I can neither explain nor justify in words. I seem, in short, to be condemning myself to my own 'hard treatment' and, at the moment, I am unconcerned with stopping it.

So, whilst I feel 'on the edge' I also know that I have it in my power to pull myself away from it. I alone can do it, despite what my friends and family think they can do for me. I am the master of many things in my life and have always had a strong control over myself, however the one thing that I need a bit more control over - my sleep, which will doubtlessly help me to get out of this state - I seem to have none. I yearn for it and yet it only comes to me when my body forces it upon me. I am looking forward to the time when I can regain the control that I am so used to and hope I can get a grip on my sleep soon. It might just be my salvation.

I hope my future posts are not so dull.
   posted by Steven at Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Comments:
Hope you eventually managed to get some sleep, and things are getting back on an even keel
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

The author of this blog, Steven Allen, asserts his moral and legal rights to ownership and control of all of the contents herein. Please be nice if you want to quote me.
Listed on BlogShares